DIY Killer Comic Book Heels
Pricetag: Around £15
Time: Eight hours per shoe (I’m a perfectionist and I have big feet)
This is by no means my idea, just my take. Based on this video. Costs more time than money!
Mod Podge: £5 from Hobbycraft
Vinyl Shoes: £10 from New Look
Comics: Already owned from Forbidden Planet ages ago
Cut up a few comics into jagged, odd pieces. Use Mod Podge and a paint brush to stick. Tackle the heels and edges first, keeping the lines nice and straight, then fill in the gaps with bigger feature pieces. You can try a theme if you like (Avengers heels anyone?) but I just went generic for my first try. Use thinner strips on the curves to avoid bumpage.
Save some fine cut feature words, speech bubbles and/or characters to really stand out as a final touch. Patience and a steady hand are key here! You can use a craft knife but I used scissors like a boss.
Fill in the platform or don’t, leave the heel blank or don’t. YOU ARE THE MASTER OF YOUR OWN DESTINY.
When completely covered, coat in matte or gloss Mod Podge and leave to dry overnight. Coat once more and leave for a day.
Wear. Be fabulous. SUCCEED.
Some extra pointers:
- Mod Podge acts as both the glue to stick the comic pieces to the heels AND the varnish to go on after!
- They will not last forever, wear and tear are inevitable. Everything you love leaves you. Tips for longevity: the more static the shoe (the less they bend) the better. The comic coating is weaker where the movement is so keep this in mind when choosing shoes. Though the Mod Podge should seal them, I would not recommend wearing in the rain, just in case.
- If you have reservations about cutting up comic books, either just get two copies of said comic or use bargain basement comics you aren’t attached to.
- Alas, I don’t know if printing out scans would have the same effect since there are different thicknesses and paper types. But go forth and experiment! DO IT FOR SCIENCE FASHION!
- If you’re in the UK, I recommend checking out The Works for comics. My local store had a 2 for £1 deal on comics as of 24/6/12.
- No, I don’t plan on selling these or making more to sell at this point in time. They are far too time-consuming and I’d have to charge a lot to make any profit from it. But thank you for all the amazing messages 😀